Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Types of Workouts

Although my training looks pretty unstructured and random, there's actually order within the chaos. Every week, I have a few quality workouts that I hope to complete and as long as those are done, I'm pretty happy.

Disclaimer: Everything posted here is based on the hours of reading I've done whenever I feel lazy to go for a run. If there's anything that is inaccurate, don't blame me for it!

For running, I try to have one longish run (anything 10k and above for now counts), a track session of intervals, and a tempo run.
The long run is quite short now, especially since the run for the Olympic distance (or standard distance) is 10k. But it will slowly go up, and probably capped at around 15km. Not because I don't need anything longer, but rather because it gets a bit too time consuming and very boring to run for 1.5hr alone.
The track workout involves me going to the-you guessed it right-track. I find that a few fast intervals of 400m-1.6km is good to get you used to the goal pace and to work on leg turnover/strength. Without these sessions, I will probably never run below a 4:00min/km pace. I also tend to run slower outdoors, so these workouts are reserved for the track. I tend to enjoy the thought of running these at such fast paces, but once I'm at the track the only thing I enjoy about it is...well there's nothing.
Tempo workouts are sort of intermediates between track workouts and a normal run. The distances I run vary between 3km to 6km of tempo (excluding warmup/cooldown), and the pace is usually around 4:30ish for me. These runs are haaaard. At least for track workouts I know there's a rest I can look forward to after just a couple of minutes. But for tempo runs the only rest comes a long time later. However some people think this is one of the best types of run for mid distances.

As for cycling, I also have 3 workouts I try to do each week.
1. VO2 max intervals. For me these mean any intervals of less than 7 minutes, pushing a really hard speed throughout the whole thing. The cycling equivelant of track workouts I guess.
2. Lactate Threshold intervals. The only one that I do/know of is the 2x20min workout. This raises your LT and I find it teaches me how to pace myself properly. Tough tough workout because 20min is a really long time, but I feel very satisfied whenever I do one of these because of many anecdotes of how useful these workouts are.
3. Solo long ride. So far I've only done 1 of this, and it was very satisfying to know that I can achieve a 35kmh average on my own (just a bit of drafting) for 90km. Only thing is, well, its super boring to ride for 3hr alone. But it has some sort of therapeutic effect too.
One problem with the the first and second type of workout is that you need a place where you can ride for the desired time undisturbed. In Singapore it's impossible to find a stretch of road to cycle for 20min straight, so what I do is cycle around a loop of roughly 3.5km. For now this loop is still quite undiscovered, which is a good thing :)

A good week is one where I managed to do all 6 workouts according to plan. I try to space these out as much as possible to give myself time to rest so I can perform my best, but with 6 workouts and only 7 days a week it gets a bit difficult. So there you go, a bit of order within the chaos of my training week.

No comments:

Post a Comment